It seems everybody is into aromatherapy these days. Almost everywhere you turn, there is someone selling essential oils and they are often full of advice on how to use them. But can you trust that advice? How do you know that you are getting the best information to use oils in a safe and effective way?
The truth is essential oils are very powerful. They have amazing therapeutic benefits; but just as with other treatments, they need to be used with respect. After all many of our most powerful medicines have their origin in nature.
So what makes the difference between a qualified and registered aromatherapist (Q&R A) and a salesperson taught from the company they represent? Well … quite a lot actually! A Q&R A is motivated to heal rather than sell, they have higher levels of education, as well as training from independent and regulated sources.
Here are the top 10 reasons why you might want to consult with a Q&R A:
- A registered aromatherapist puts clients’ safety and health outcomes before profits.
- A registered aromatherapist is governed by a professional association and their Code of Conduct
- A registered aromatherapist has undertaken extensive study and training from an accredited training organisation.
- A registered aromatherapist understands and adheres to internationally recognised safety guidelines
- A registered aromatherapist understands how essential oils can interact with medications and other medical treatments
- A registered aromatherapist understands that some health conditions require extra caution
- A registered aromatherapist will never encourage you to use essential oils in an excessive or unsafe way
- A registered aromatherapist understands the limits of their knowledge and their scope of practice
- A registered aromatherapist always carries professional indemnity insurance.
- A registered aromatherapist always maintains the highest standards of integrity to ensure the best possible outcome for their clients.
Essential oils are wonderful and powerful instruments of nature that have the potential for great therapeutic benefit. The more we strive to understand nature’s gifts, the more we can make use of them in a safe and effective way, enhancing our health.